Happy Saturday morning! Today, I decided to partake in a book tag. It has been quite a long time since I’ve done a tag post and it sounded like a relaxing way to kick off the holiday weekend. I came across this tag on Sophie’s Corner, and the original creator is the blogger Shyla at Words & Stitches. Both people are fabulous bloggers that y’all should visit if you have a moment to do so.
So this tag is pretty self-explanatory. The goal is to answer the standard W questions, but with a bookish twist! I love how basic and comfortable it is, like a pair of fuzzy sockies and a cup of hot cocoa.
01. Who? – Who is an author that you’d love to have a one-on-one with?
Saladin Ahmed. Not only is he a brilliantly imaginative author, he has one of the best personalities around. I feel like there would be a lot of laughter and intelligent conversation involved in that one-on-one.
02. What? – What genre or style do you gravitate towards the most?
I have two that I adore equally. The first is #OwnVoices Japanese literature, of any genre/subgenre. The second one is hard science-fiction novels involving sentient artificial intelligence, robots, androids, etc. They are drugs for my heart.
03. Where? – Where do you prefer to read?
My favourite place to read of all-time is in my car when it’s raining up a storm. I find the ambiance from the sounds of the rain upon the windows to be rather comforting. My car is also a very safe and relaxing place for me and it has been since I can remember. But since I live in a state where rain is a rare sight, my second favourite place to read is sitting on my bed whilst curled up with kitties and a cup of cocoa.
04. When? – What time of day do you prefer to read?
I’m a resident night owl, a nocturnal creature of the best sort (just like my kitty, Shinobi) so I prefer to read—and work—during the night-time. I’m the most awake at night and for some reason my ADHD is far calmer during the evening hours.
05. Why? – Why is your favourite book your favourite book?
Thieves of Blood by Tim Waggoner, which is the first book in the Blade of the Flame Trilogy is my favourite book of all-time (tied only with Dune by Frank Herbert, but I prefer this one a tad bit more) for so many remarkable reasons. The main two reasons why I adore it is because it was my first fantasy novel experience and because the main characters’ friendship reminds me so much of the bond I had with my brother. Other reasons I can’t forget to mention include:
- Fallible characters with dark pasts that teach us change for the better is never an impossibility.
- Incites inspiration to always be compassionate, no matter how challenging it can be at times.
- Interracial romance between two unlikely individuals.
- Tons of great fantasy elements such as various creatures and settings.
- Introduced me to the Eberron universe, which I fell madly in love with.
That does it for The 5 W’s Book Tag! Upon finishing this tag, I have a mighty urge to re-read The Blade of the Flame Trilogy again, but considering I did a re-read of that last year, I’m going to wait a little while longer. Out of all of these questions, the only one I ask of you is the last one: why is your favourite read your favourite?