Ah, the sun is shining so brightly that my retinas feel like they are on fire. The breeze lays dormant as the heat scorches the grass, the ground, and the greens of the city. Flowers are wafting a fog and smog of pollen everywhere which makes my nosey so happy it itches and bitches. Summer is here in California, and if you couldn’t tell by that melodramatic prattling… I fucking hate it. So, in an effort to stay indoors as much as humanly possible (without getting too bored), I went to the Libs and stocked up on a massive stack of SFF (science-fiction and fantasy) books to help keep me busy during this season of icky hotness and sticky Hell.
I know what you may say. “Nyan, don’t you already have an outrageous amount of unread books laying around like a goddamn trap hazard?” Why yes, I do indeed. But the second reason I ran off to the Libs on Saturday was because I was stressing about life things, and I needed a “shopping” outlet. This is probably why I came home with 37 books instead of the ten I initially planned to check out with, oops. But you know what they say, “When the going gets tough, the tough just reads and hides.” (I’ve been watching a lot of Batman: The Animated Series.)
Anyhoo, stress impulses notwithstanding, I got a humongous leaning tower of tomes and I’m excited to read them over the next three to four months. Joking and whining aside, the Summer heat is pretty atrocious for my physical health, so to avoid long bouts of bedrest, I figured it would be wise to hoard up on things that can help keep my ADHD occupied so I’m not tempted to do stupid nonsenses (e.g.: go for walks when it’s 1,045 degrees outside).
Since there are so many books to share, I’m going to provide pictures for all of the covers and then at the bottom of this post there will be a bulleted list with links to their respective GoodReads pages, along with a specific listing for their individual genres to help you gauge if it’ll be your brand o’ chai or not. The current goal is to write a review for most, if not all, of everything I shall be reading, which will always be 100% completely honest and include in-depth content warnings. ✌🏾
- Ambergris Trilogy Omnibus by Jeff VanderMeer: New-Weird (Sci-Fi), Fungalpunk, Crime Thriller. 880 pages. ISBN-13: 9780374103170.
- By Force Alone by Lavie Tidhar: Fantasy Folklore, Arthurian Fantasy. 388 pages. ISBN-13: 9781250753458.
- The Guns Above (Signal Airship #1) by Robyn Bennis: Steampunk, Gaslamp Fantasy, Military Fantasy. 352 pages. ISBN-13: 9780765388766.
- The Hammer of God by Arthur C. Clarke: Hard Science-Fiction. 272 pages. ISBN-13: 9780553568714.
- The Heirs of Babylon by Glen Cook: Space Fleet, Galactic Empire. 288 pages. ISBN-13: 9781597809627.
- The Kassa Gambit by M.C. Planck: First Contact, Alien Invasion. 288 pages. ISBN-13: 9780765330925.
- The Last Dance (The Near-Earth Mysteries #1) by Martin L. Shoemaker: Hard Science-Fiction, Space Opera. 463 pages. ISBN-13: 9781542004312.
- The Man with Munnari Eyes (The Munnari Chronicles #1) by M.L. Bellante: Science-Fiction, Action-Adventure. 418 pages. ISBN-13: 9781606452400.
- The Mirror Empire (Worldbreaker Saga #1) by Kameron Hurley: Epic Fantasy, Dark Fantasy. 544 pages. ISBN-13: 9780857665560.
- The Nekropolis Archives: The Complete Matt Richter Collection by Tim Waggoner: Urban Fantasy. 912 pages. ISBN-13: 9780857662088.
- The Song of All (Legacy of Heavens #1) by Tina LeCount Myers: Dark Fantasy, Epic Fantasy. 452 pages. ISBN-13: 9781597809429.
- The Throne of the Five Winds (Hostage of Empire #1) S.C. Emmett: Epic Fantasy. 704 pages. ISBN-13: 9780316436946.
- The Tower of Fools (Hussite Trilogy #1) by Andrzej Sapkowski: Polish Fantasy, Historical Fantasy. 576 pages. ISBN-13: 9780316423694.
- The Waking Fire (Draconis Memoria #1) by Anthony Ryan: Epic Fantasy, Dragon Fantasy. 592 pages. ISBN-13: 9781101987872.
- The Winter Road by Adrian Selby: Grimdark Fantasy. 496 pages. ISBN-13: 978031645885.
- Too Like Lightning (Terra Ignota #1) by Ada Palmer: Political Science-Fiction. 448 pages. ISBN-13: 9780765378019.
- Seven Surrenders (Terra Ignota #2) by Ada Palmer: Political Science-Fiction. 384 pages. ISBN-13: 9780765378033.
- Sunshield (Outlaw Road #1) by Emily B. Martin: Fantasy Adventure. 432 pages. ISBN-13: 9780062888563.
- Discount Armageddon (InCryptid #1) by Seanan McGuire: Urban Fantasy, Supernatural Fantasy. 352 pages. ISBN-13: 9780756407131.
- Ghost Talkers by Mary Robinette Kowal: Historical Fantasy, Supernatural Fantasy, Military Fantasy. 304 pages. ISBN-13: 9780765378255.
- Ironfoot (The Enchanter General) by Dave Duncan: Historical Dark Fantasy, Fantasy Academia. 344 pages. ISBN-13: 9781597809177.
- Ice Song (Ice Song #1) by Kirsten Imani Kasai: Fantasy Adventure, LGBTQIA+ Fantasy (Gender Diversity). 372 pages. ISBN-13: 9780345508812.
- Tattoo (Ice Song #2) by Kirsten Imani Kasai: Fantasy Adventure, LGBTQIA+ Fantasy (Gender Diversity). 400 pages. ISBN-13: 9780345508829.
- The Coming by Joe Haldeman: Science-Fiction. 224 pages. ISBN-13: 9780441007691.
- The Dragon Round by Stephen S. Power: Dark Fantasy Adventure, Dragon Fantasy. 336 pages. ISBN-13: 9781501152757.
- Vagabonds by Hao Jingfang (translated by Ken Liu): Own-Voices Chinese Science-Fiction, Space Colonisation, Political Hard Science-Fiction. 608 pages. ISBN-13: 9781534422087.
- Veil of Lies (Crispin Guest #1) by Jeri Westerson: Historical Mystery. 262 pages. ISBN-13: 9781625674173.
- Vengeance (The Tainted Realm #1) by Ian Irvine: Fantasy Adventure. 688 pages. ISBN-13: 9780316072847.
- At the Table of Wolves (Dark Talents #1) by Kay Kenyon: Alternate History Fantasy, Fantasy Spy Thriller. 448 pages. ISBN-13: 9781481487795.
- Serpent in the Heather (Dark Talents #2) by Kay Kenyon: Alternate History Fantasy, Fantasy Spy Thriller. 432 pages. ISBN-13: 9781481487856.
- Nest of the Monarch (Dark Talents #3) by Kay Kenyon: Alternate History Fantasy, Fantasy Spry Thriller. 448 pages. ISBN-13: 9781534429734.
- Hunger Makes the Wolf (The Ghost Wolves #1) by Alex Wells: Science-Fiction Western, Space Opera. 464 pages. ISBN-13: 9780857666444.
- Blood Binds the Pack (The Ghost Wolves #2) by Alex Wells: Science-Fiction Western, Space Opera. 496 pages. ISBN-13: 9780857666475.
That does it for my gloriously ginormous loot of library readings. I have so many of them that I’m actually not certain where to begin. 🙀 If you see something that you’d love to see a review for more than the rest, please let me know in the comments! It would help me narrow down a starting point. With that, I wish you a kind, cool, and cosy week ahead.