The Summer Anime season is just around the corner with shows starting up in less than a month. When I was asked about this impending season’s shows and what I was planning on watching, I had realised that I had absolutely no bloody idea what there was to watch! So, I sat down and flipped through the Summer’s current catalogues and compiled a small list of anime serials that appealed to me the most. As we get closer to July, I’m sure that more serials will sprout up and this list may grow here and there, so I’m going to keep an open mind and not lock myself down.
Today’s post is a basic introduction of some of the shows that sounded interesting (to me). These are not first impressions or anything like that. I won’t be sharing those until the first two weeks of the Summer season. If y’all would like one long Summer First Impressions post versus posts on individual serials, please let me know down below so I can prepare accordingly. Thank you! ♥
Welcome to the Ballroom (Ballroom e Yōkoso)
- Studio: Production I.G.
- Based off a manga series written by Tomo Takeuchi
- Comedy, Sports, Drama
- The story follows a boy named Tatara Fujita who, after a chance encounter, finds himself knee deep in the world of ballroom dancing.
- Musings: I feel like this could be one of those shows where you expect ridiculous crap, but it can surprise you. I also really enjoy ballroom dancing, so I figured why not give it a shot. Also, I’m a whore for Production I.G.
- Release: 08-Jul-2017
A Centaur’s Life (Centaur no Nayami)
- Alternate name: Centaur’s Worries
- Studio: Haoliners Animation League
- Based off a manga series written by Kei Murayama
- Supernatural, Slice-of-Life, Comedy
- This is a show about a group of mythological creatures, such as centaurs, satyrs, mermaids, demons, and other humanoid creatures, who all live a very normal life together. They go to school, formulate friendships, and fall in love.
- Musings: Feel-good type of shows are some of my favourite things, and sometimes school-life shows can fulfil that love that I have. I also really love mythological creatures. So if you slap the two of them together, naturally my interest will be piqued!
- Release: 09-Jul-2017
Clione’s Light (Clione no Akari)
- Studio: drop
- Originally it was an illustrated online novel by Natural Rain
- There is a very sickly young girl, who one days falls ill and finds herself hospitalised. After two months of being in the hospital, two of her closest friends from school receive a mysterious e-mail, from an unnamed and unknown sender, telling them of a summer festival coming up in a nearby town.
- Musings: The snippet was so vague that it somehow appealed to me. Is it going to be a slice-of-life? Will there surprise fantasy elements? How about a crazy ass plot twist no one will see coming? Curiosity definitely got a hold of this cat.
- Release: July 2017
- Studio: Zero-G
- Originally a novel (not light novel) series by Eto Mori
- Story focuses on the Mizuki Diving Club, which is experiencing some difficult times and at risk of losing their sponsorship. The sponsor gives them one year to make some significant changes and growth. They hire a new coach and diligently work towards sending one of their members off to the Olympics… all within the one year time span allotted.
- Musings: Initially, I thought it would be a silly swimmer boys show. But the snippet seems really promising and more serious than other sports shows recently. Also, I’ve discovered that I’m enjoying anime that focuses on the technical aspects of working life, or recreation (i.e.: Sakura Quest).
- Release: 06-Jul-2017
Restaurant to Another World (Isekai Shokudō)
- Studio: Silver Link
- Originally a novel (not light novel) series written by Junpei Inuzuka
- In a poor corner of the local shopping district lies a Western-style restaurant called Yōshuku no Nekoya (Western Cuisine Cat Restaurant). During its business hours, Monday through Friday, it serves normal food to normal folks. The restaurant is normally closed on weekends and holidays. However, on Saturdays it secretly opens its doors to very unique and unusual clientele with a very unique and unusual menu to match.
- Musings: Neko is in the name that means that these clientele have to be CATS!! At least that’s what I’m hoping for. I’m shameless when it comes to my obsessive love for the feline folks. Cats aside, I like fantasy and the series looks pretty, so not give it a try?
- Release: 03-Jul-2017
Cleanliness Boy! Aoyama-Kun (Keppeki Danshi! Aoyama-kun)
- Studio: Studio Hibari
- Based off of a manga series written by Taku Sakamoto
- Comedy, Seinen
- The anime follows a young soccer genius named Aoyama, who also happens to be completely obsessed with cleanliness!
- Musings: I felt a strong Sakamoto-kun desu ka?! vibe from this at first, and I didn’t really care for that show. But as someone who’s also quite passionate about cleanliness, I figured I may be able to relate to the humour at the very least (and maybe acquire some new methods of cleaning… no, really).
- Release: 02-Jul-2017
- Studio: Creators in Pack TOKYO
- Based off of a manga series written by Kodama Naoko
- Romance, Shōjo, Yuri
- Yuma and Hotaru have been friends since childhood. One day Yuma gets asked out by a boy and she agrees to go out with him. Nervous about her first date, she asks Hotaru to tag along with her. Afterwards, Yuma is quite nervous about kissing a boy for the first time and experiencing everything that goes with it. To encourage her friend, Hotaru tells Yuma that she can practice with her. After they share a kiss, Yuma begins to feel conflicted feelings for both her new boyfriend and her best friend, Hotaru.
- Musings: It’s been so long since I’ve read/watched a Yuri series. It looked pretty and the premise sounded a bit fascinating to me. Also, it would be nice to watch a Queer show that I may be able to relate to on one level or another.
- Release: July 2017
Vatican Miracle Examiner (Vatican Kiseki Chōsakan)
- Studio: J.C. Staff
- Originally a light novel series written by Rin Fujiki
- The story revolves around two individuals, Hiraga Josef Kō and Robert Nicholas, who work for an organisation within the Vatican called The Sea of the Saints (Seito no Za). This organisation is dedicated to investigating alleged miracles.
- Musings: I love mysteries, especially in anime, and there’s not enough great ones (at least I haven’t seen/discovered many of them). Also the entire premise sounds really intellectual (I’m hoping) and appealing to me. Did I mention that I’m a whore for J.C. Staff as well?
- Release: 07-Jul-2017
- Studio: Studio Pierrot
- An original anime series.
- The show follows six high schoolers around a local convenient store on their way home from school, chit-chatting about life and meeting girls they all like.
- Musings: I LOVE simple, mundane stories that focus on everyday theatrics, especially when they are relatable and cosy. I have a feeling this will be one such show.
- Release: July 2017